Moving forward: think, reflect, play...

This blog is a continuation of Stepping back, looking forward: A year to think, reflect and play... More than anything, my sabbatical leave taught me that I need to take the time *daily* to look forward...even in the midst of a hectic work schedule. And the library staff needs to do the same...think, reflect, play... Formerly Stepping back, looking forward

3/07/2007

Allan Hancock College and the Lompoc Center

It has been a long trip...away from home for 7 days visiting libraries along highways 99 and 101 and then a few in between. Last night I was road weary so I stopped in San Luis Obispo to spend the night. Coincidentally, my daughter had just gotten her acceptance that day to Cal Poly SLO so it was great to cruise the campus once more. After a late night e-Scrabble game with my brother in law (till 2 am!), I feel asleep only to wake about 9 am. I needed to get on the road so that I would miss the LA traffic rushhour. I wanted to stop at Allan Hancock College as well as Santa Barbara City College.

I arrived at Allan Hancock and took a tour of newly remodeled library. It is modern and brings in light and brightness. Nice comfortable furniture and a Circulation desk that also wraps around to the Reference Desk. Nancy Meddings, Librarian and Director of Learning Resources was just heading off to a meeting so Leslie Mosson was so gracious and gave me a great tour. The Library also backs up to the LRC which has an art gallery, writing center and open lab for tutorial services.

I asked about Kathy Headke who I had met at a memorial service for Mary Heussenstamm, a watercolor artist who has exhibited at so many of our libraries. (PCC has a permanent display collection of her works.) Leslie called her at the Lompoc campus and she encouraged me to drive down there to see their Lompc Center. since I am going with the wind these days, I headed to Lompoc. It is a beautiful drive down towards Vandenburg and the hills were a glorious green! I had a great tour of the library and the center and Kathy and I enjoyed lunch together. Since I was late in leaving, I decided to skip Santa Barbara since I could easily make that trip from LA another day. Great day! I loved the energy at Allan Hancock!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home