Moving forward: think, reflect, play...

This blog is a continuation of Stepping back, looking forward: A year to think, reflect and play... More than anything, my sabbatical leave taught me that I need to take the time *daily* to look forward...even in the midst of a hectic work schedule. And the library staff needs to do the same...think, reflect, play... Formerly Stepping back, looking forward

3/05/2007

Sonoma State's Jean and Charles Schulz Information Center






This was quite a logistical feat...I was on the road as of Wednesday, Jeff flew to Sacramento on Thursday for a meeting at the Chancellor's Office, then he came south to Ripon near Modesto, and I headed to Sac for the Council of Chief Librarians' meeting on Friday. I then came back south and met Jeff and my sister-in-law on the highway 5...and we headed west to Oakland to pick up our daughter Amy at the Oakland airport. We had to squeeze in another college visit to Sonoma State so that she could evaluate her options. This is the first Cal State campus library I have visited that was not a cold "institutional structure", with an modern, imposing presence. With so many Cal State campuses serving so many students, I am always shocked at how uninviting their campus libraries are. I have visited Cal State LA, SAC State, Chico and Fullerton, and all of them are the same vintage, perhaps the same architect (?) and do not invite students in.

But this one, the Jean and Charles Schulz Information Center is beautiful and welcoming. It was hard to believe that it was built in 2000 as a multidimensional, multimedia library and learning center. It looks like it opened yesterday. For more photographs and to read about the 7.5 million in private funding for this library, go to: http://library.sonoma.edu/about/exteriorpics.html and http://library.sonoma.edu/about/interiorpics.html, and http://library.sonoma.edu/about/building.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home