Moving forward: think, reflect, play...

This blog is a continuation of Stepping back, looking forward: A year to think, reflect and play... More than anything, my sabbatical leave taught me that I need to take the time *daily* to look forward...even in the midst of a hectic work schedule. And the library staff needs to do the same...think, reflect, play... Formerly Stepping back, looking forward

1/25/2007

OCLC course on EAD (Encoded Archival Description)

Today, I head for OCLC Western to take this course on EAD. My husband looked a little perplexed as I explained what it is....it seems he thinks I am "all over the place," and I do feel at times like I am a "kid in a candy shop." Yet, that is what this leave is all about...playing and enhancing my learning about a wide, diverse group of areas that I have not had time to keep up with as a Dean. See course description below...Notes to follow...

Encoded Archival Description (EAD) is emerging from theory into practice as organizations expand the number of digitized archival collections that they manage. This workshop provides advice for organizations that want to implement the EAD standard and develop internal best practices for the use of the EAD version 2002 encoding standard. The workshop will cover issues relating to preparation before encoding including the implementation of DACS (Describing Archives a Content Standard) and Greene and Meissner's notion of more product, less process. Includes discussion of techniques and practices for encoding finding aides; reviews national EAD best practices and support sites as well as providing examples drawn from such projects as the Northwest Digital Archive (NWDA) and the California Digital Library (CDL).

What you will learn
Understanding the complexities of managing archival collections using EAD;
Creating practical workflow models for using EAD; and
Practice in applying the principles and theory.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home